The green icon labeled "Preliminary Dropbox" at the bottom of this page will lead you to the Rice University portal for Acceptd, an online repository for preliminary audition materials. There is a $24 fee to use this service.
» A movement from a concerto
» Two contrasting movements of Bach
» A contemporary unaccompanied work
The repertoire for the audition must include one work from each of the following:
1. Bach – Any of the six Solo Sonatas (complete) from memory.
2. A concerto (from memory) by Barber; Bloch; Dvorak; Elgar; Haydn D Major or C Major; Hindemith; Prokofiev Op. 125; Schelomo; Schumann; Shostakovich No. 1 or 2; Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations; or Walton.
3. A sonata by Beethoven or Brahms.
4. A work in a contemporary idiom written within the last seventy-five years.
(If longer than 10 minutes, a representative 10-minute portion is sufficient.)
5. One of the following from Group A or B, of not less than 5 minutes in duration, from memory.
A. A sonata by Locatelli, Francoeur, Boccherini or Valentini.
B. A virtuoso work by Sevais or David Popper, or 2 Piatti Caprices.
The complete program must be performed with piano with the exception of the unaccompanied works in your program. The Shepherd School will provide a pianist and limited rehearsal time if requested. If the Shepherd School is to provide the pianist, all piano parts must be made available three weeks before the scheduled audition date. The applicant must be prepared to perform all chosen works in their entirety. However, the jury may decide to hear only certain portions.
DMA auditions will be held on January 30 and February 8, 2017
Any questions regarding your application can be directed to Phyllis Smith.