Online preliminary submission by December 1, 2020
If you have not heard from us by January 6, 2021, please email us.
Required preliminary repertoire is by video submission
- Two contrasting movements from a Bach solo cello suite or violin sonata or partita
- One movement from a major concerto
- One movement from a sonata
Required graduate live audition repertoire
The applicant should present a program of 60-70 minutes in duration, including one work from each of the four categories below. One piece must be written after 1970.
- Bach (from memory) any of the six cello suites or any of the violin solo sonatas or partitas
- A complete concerto (from memory) by Bartók; Hindemith Der Schwanendrehrer; Walton; Piston; Schnittke; Harbison; Penderecki or work of similar importance
- A substantial work such as Brahms, Clarke, Hindemith, Rochberg, Shostakovich, Schumann, Vieuxtemps, or Bax
- A short work of your choice
For works that require piano accompaniment, the Shepherd School will provide a pianist and limited rehearsal time if requested. If the Shepherd School is to provide the pianist, all piano parts must be made available three weeks before the scheduled audition date. The applicant must be prepared to perform all chosen works in their entirety. However, the jury may decide to hear only certain portions.
Live auditions will be held on February 2 or 3, 2021