Online Preliminary Submission by December 1, 2020
For admission into the Artist Diploma program in cello, each applicant must play an audition showing a high and consistent level of artistry as well as a background indicating considerable performance experience. If you have not heard from us by January 6, 2021, please email us.
Required preliminary repertoire is by video submission
Please include the following:
- Two concerti; one (1) Haydn and one (1) major Romantic or 20th century, first movement only
- Two contrasting movements of Bach
- A contemporary unaccompanied work
Required live audition repertoire
The repertoire for the audition must include one work from each of the following groups:
- Bach - Any of the six Solo Suites (complete) from memory
- A concerto (from memory) by Barber; Bloch Schelomo; Dvorak; Elgar; Hindemith; Prokofiev Op. 125; Schumann; Shostakovich No. 1 or 2; Tchaikovsky Rococo Variations; or Walton.
- A concerto (from memory) by Haydn in D Major or C Major
- A sonata by Beethoven or Brahms
- A work in a contemporary idiom written within the last seventy-five years. (If longer than 10 minutes, a representative 10-minute portion is sufficient.)
- One of the following from Group A or B, of not less than 5 minutes in duration, from memory A. A sonata by Locatelli, Francoeur, Boccherini or Valentini. B. A virtuoso work by Sevais or David Popper, or 2 Piatti Caprices.
The complete program must be performed with piano with the exception of the unaccompanied works in your program. The Shepherd School will provide a pianist and limited rehearsal time if requested. If the Shepherd School is to provide the pianist, all piano parts must be made available three weeks before the scheduled audition date. The applicant must be prepared to perform all chosen works in their entirety. However, the jury may decide to hear only certain portions.
Live auditions will be held February 2 and 3, 2021