Online Preliminary Round Submission by December 1, 2022
The submission must be played in a continuous unedited segment; any indication that there has been editing or that recording equipment was paused/stopped between selections will result in the disqualification of the application. All pieces should be played unaccompanied. If you have not heard from us by January 6, 2023, please email us.
Required preliminary round repertoire is by video submission
- Mozart Clarinet Concerto, 1st movement, Exposition only (beginning of Solo until bar 133)
- Joan Tower Wings
- Copland Concerto, from the beginning to end of the cadenza
- Mendelssohn Scherzo from A Midsummer Night’s Dream (measures 1 – 48)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 6 First movement (measures 474-492) and Second movement (measures 68-78)
- Beethoven Symphony No. 8 Third movement Menuetto and Trio (no repeats)
Required live audition repertoire
- The entire Mozart Clarinet Concerto, K. 622
- The entire Debussy, Premiere Rhapsodie
- The entire Copland, Concerto.
- Joan Tower, Wings
- Orchestral excerpts (do not use excerpt books for these passages): Mendelssohn Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream (measures 1-48); Beethoven Symphony No. 6, First movement (measures 474-492) & Second movement (measures 68-78); Beethoven Symphony No. 8, Third movement Menuetto & Trio (no repeats); Brahms Symphony No. 3, movements 1 and 2 (please prepare solos and tutti passages); Kodály: Dances Galánta (bar 31 - bar 66); Rimsky Korsakov: Capricco: Movements I. Alborada and III. Alborada; Stravinsky: Firebird Suite: Variation of the Firebird; Ravel: Daphnis and Chloé Suite No. 2
- Applicants will also be expected to demonstrate sight-reading ability with material chosen by the instructor.
For works that require piano accompaniment, the Shepherd School will provide a pianist and limited rehearsal time if requested. If the Shepherd School is to provide the pianist, all piano parts must be made available three weeks before the scheduled audition date. The applicant must be prepared to perform all chosen works in their entirety. However, the jury may decide to hear only certain portions.
Live auditions will be held on January 30, 2023.