Online Preliminary Submission by December 1, 2020
The submission must be played in a continuous unedited segment; any indication that there has been editing or that recording equipment was paused/stopped between selections will result in the disqualification of the application. All pieces should be played unaccompanied. If you have not heard from us by January 6, 2021, please email us.
Required preliminary repertoire is by video submission
- Mozart Clarinet Concerto, 1st movement, Exposition only (beginning of Solo until bar 133)
- Copland Concerto, from the beginning to end of the cadenza
- Mendelssohn Scherzo from A Midsummer Night’s Dream, measures 1 – 48
- Kodály Dances Galánta, bar 31 - bar 66
Required live audition repertoire
- The entire Mozart Clarinet Concerto, K. 622
- The entire Debussy, Premiere Rhapsodie
- Choose and prepare one of the following concertos in its entirety: Nielsen, Concerto; Weber, Concerto No 2 in Eb; or Copland, Concerto.
- Orchestral excerpts (do not use excerpt books for these passages): Mendelssohn Scherzo from A Midsummer Night's Dream, measures 1-48; Beethoven Symphony No. 6, 1st movement measures 476-492 & 2nd movement measures 69-77; Beethoven Symphony No. 8, movement 3 Menuetto (Trio); Brahms Symphony No. 3, movements 1 and 2 (please prepare solos and tutti passages); Kodály: Dances Galánta, bar 31 - bar 66; Rimsky Korsakov: Capricco: Movements I. Alborada and III. Alborada; Stravinsky: Firebird Suite: Variation of the Firebird; Ravel: Daphnis and Chloé Suite No. 2
- Applicants will also be expected to demonstrate sight-reading ability with material chosen by the instructor.
For works that require piano accompaniment, the Shepherd School will provide a pianist and limited rehearsal time if requested. If the Shepherd School is to provide the pianist, all piano parts must be made available three weeks before the scheduled audition date. The applicant must be prepared to perform all chosen works in their entirety. However, the jury may decide to hear only certain portions.
Live auditions will be held on February 1, 2021