Arranging your visit
We are open for visitors beginning in late August!
In order to welcome visitors to our buildings, the following guidelines are in place, as we want to ensure the safety of all of our prospective students and their guests.
Prospective students and families are always welcome. We strongly encourage you to schedule your visit with us at least one week in advance so that we can make it as informative and productive as possible. A visit to The Shepherd School of Music can include:
1. An individual appointment with a member of The Shepherd School’s admission team
During busier days, prospective applicants and their families may be scheduled for a general Shepherd School of Music information session. We are generally available during business hours between 9:00 am and 4:30 pm on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.
2. Observing an ensemble rehearsal
- Shepherd School Symphony Orchestra rehearsals are held Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 2:10 until 4:40 p.m.
- Shepherd School Chamber Orchestra rehearsals are held Monday, Wednesday and Friday afternoons from 5:00 until 7:00 p.m.
- Shepherd School Opera rehearsals are held in the afternoons and evenings but will vary from day to day. Please contact the SSM Admission Office to learn specific opera rehearsal plans.
- Rice Chorale rehearses Monday and Wednesday afternoons from 4:00 until 5:30 p.m
3. Attending a class
A new class schedule for the Fall 2021 semester will be available soon!
4. A lesson with a Shepherd School faculty member or attending a studio class
If you are interested in a private lesson with a Shepherd School faculty member or visiting a particular studio class, please contact the teacher directly. The best time to request a lesson is in the fall semester, and not during the audition season of January and February. The individual faculty members establish lesson policies, including those pertaining to scheduling, cancellation and possible fees.
5. Attending a performance
We hold more than 450 events each school year – most of which are free. Just view the Performance Calendar to find out what we are doing while you are here.
Rice Office of Admissions information sessions, tours, and accommodations
We encourage prospective undergraduate students to take advantage of the information sessions and campus tours hosted by the Rice University Office of Admission. For more information about visiting Rice, please view the Visit Rice homepage. For accommodations while in Houston, you may visit our listing of local area hotels to help plan for your trip.
Download the Rice University Campus map here.