Planning your visit
Prospective students and families are always welcome. We strongly encourage you to schedule at least 2 weeks in advance so that we can make your visit as informative and productive as possible.
NOTE: If you are under the age of 18 at the time of your audition, we will need this form filled out.
A visit to The Shepherd School of Music can include:
- An individual appointment and building tour with a member of The Shepherd School's admission team (available Monday - Friday)
- Observing an ensemble rehearsal
- Shepherd School Symphony Orchestra rehearsals are held Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 2:10 - 4:40 pm.
- Shepherd School Chamber Orchestra rehearsals are held Monday, Wednesday, Friday from 5:00 - 7:00 pm.
- Shepherd School Opera rehearsals are held in the afternoons and evenings, but will vary from day to day. Please contact the SSM Admissions Office to learn specific opera rehearsal plans.
- Rice Chorale rehearses Monday and Wednesday from 4:00 - 5:30 pm
- Attending a class - take a look at the current semester's SSM class schedule to find a class to visit that suits your interests.
- A lesson with a Shepherd School faculty member or attending a studio class
- If you are interested in a private lesson with a Shepherd School faculty member or visiting a particular studio class, please contact the teacher directly. The best time to request a lesson is in the fall semester, and not during the audition season of January and February. The individual faculty members establish lesson policies, including those pertaining to scheduling, cancellation, and possible fees.
- NOTE: If the only reason for your visit is a lesson, you still need to file the Participation Agreement with our office, if you are under 18 at the time of your visit.
- Attending a performance
- We hold more than 450 events each school year - most of which are free. Please view this link to see what we are doing while you are here.
Rice Office of Admissions information sessions, tours, and accommodations
We encourage prospective undergraduate students to take advantage of the campus tours hosted by the Rice University Office of Admission. For more information about visiting Rice, please view the Visit Rice homepage. For accommodations while in Houston, you may visit our listing of local area hotels to help plan for your trip.
Download the Rice University Campus map here.